Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fairing Inside







I ground down the fiberglassed instrument holes from the inside. I 50 grit sanded (orbital) all of my holes and depressions from the fender washers securing my old cabintop hardware. I alcohol wiped everything clean. Mixed up some epoxy, added silica for thickener ( can't let it run or sag from above), added microballons and spread the mixture onto the depressions. It's important to spread the mixture out onto a paint tray or something similar in order to extend your working time with epoxy. If you skip this step and leave it in a container it will kick off and harden 5 times as fast( with a fast hardener). I then scraped the remaining mixture in the pan with a popsicle stick and spot filled alot of small holes and imperfections. It will take three or more fairing evolutions ( sand, clean, epoxy) to get the smoothness I want. My last sanding will be with a small longboard by hand.

No comments: