Wednesday, June 25, 2008

First top coat (shiny areas)





I've sanded the primer with 220 grit random orbital. I alcohol wiped everything with the two rag method. I mixed up some awlgrip light gray paint with brush converter. I let it kick for 30 minutes, then added about 35 percent reducer. I started at the bow along the toe rails and moved quickly with a 3" foam roller and a 2" china bristle brush. I made it around the toe rail quickly and then painted around the hatches and mast. I then moved to the vertical surface of the cabin top, around the seahood and down the other side of the cabin top (portlights). I finished up with the cockpit area, with alot of painting in there. I reduced the paint that was sitting as I moved along. I mixed about twice the amount of paint that I needed, and I was putting it on slightly heavy. I will sand everything with 400 grit tonight, prep, then put on another coat on the same areas. Hopefully I will do a better job. Its hard to tell from the pics, because the paint looks good from 10 feet, but I'm not happy with the results. Also the drops are rain not paint defects. I also skipped the flattening agent additive for the first coat, so its really bright and shiny. I need to fill some holes with thickened epoxy over lunch, I replaced my rear cleats with bigger ones and the holes won't line up.

No comments: