Monday, June 9, 2008

Chainplates O.K.






I've been busy with several small areas of the deck for the last few weeks. I've had people visit and made a couple trips to the sandbar in "repairs". The time is at hand. Everything is faired to my standards as far as I can tell, before priming, and I've just cut away some balsa from the chainplate area whilst removing and inspecting the chainplates. I don't think they've ever been removed and they were'nt sealed very well. The protective cover looks like it has been removed but the owner resealed it with silicone. The port side was dry, the starboard side was wet but not destroyed. I routed out some wood, acetoned the site, and filled the hole with thickened epoxy. I don't know if I'm going to pull the plates after the epoxy cures. I might just leave them glued to the sides. I waxed the chainplates so the epoxy shouldn't stick to them. I'm going to sand the epoxy flush tonight, and start to sand the entire hull from bow to stern. Only thing left to do is sand, degrease again, tape the toe rails, and start the priming/painting job.

No comments: